We as individuals are all looking for that somewhat elusive, that one and only diet, the one which will provide the best results, not only now, but far into the future too. You will, however, be pleased to note that the secret to success in this regard is not really that difficult to uncover. Not only will a healthy balanced diet (a good example of a balanced diet is The Zone Diet) leave any individual feeling fulfilled on a daily basis, it will ensure more significant results in the medium to long term.
Slowly Does It
Regardless of the individual concerned, a healthy balanced diet has been proven on numerous occasions as being the most realistic way in which to lose weight. By making lifestyle changes with regards to our diets and also undertaking increased levels of exercise, we are encouraging and indeed achieving steady weight loss. Steady weight loss is in itself a lot easier to maintain in the long term. In following a healthy balanced diet we are looking to lose between 0.5kg and 1.0kg on a weekly basis until we achieve a healthy body mass index (BMI). The BMI calculation takes into account an individual’s height, as opposed to simply looking at an individual’s weight. First and foremost you should check your own individual BMI, and there are various calculators available in this regard. If your BMI is in the overweight range, aim to get it down to within the healthy range. If you are classed as obese, aim to lose between 5% and 10% of your overall weight in the first instance. As is the case with anything in life, realistic goals are the key to success, and having realistic goals make a healthy balanced diet that little bit easier to stick to.
Get Started Today
It is in fact quite simple to get started on a healthy balanced diet, and to get started today, by making the following changes to your existing diet and exercise regime:
Eat five or more portions of fruit and vegetables every day;
- Ensure you start your day with a healthy breakfast. If you are prepared in this regard, it should be very easy to implement such a change;
- Swap your mid morning and mid afternoon snacks for a piece of fresh fruit, some dried fruit, nuts or seeds;
- Increase your intake of fiber by consuming wholegrain or wholewheat bread, wholewheat pasta and brown rice as opposed to white bread, regular pasta and white rice;
- Cut out those cans of soda, opting instead for water. You can also have 100% fruit juices and smoothies(juicing for weight loss is used in the popular juicing diet) if you so desire, both of which count towards your 5 a day. It should, however, be pointed out that such drinks, although healthy, will contain more calories than you are perhaps aware. It would therefore be prudent to consume sparingly;
- Plan your food shopping in advance, and only buy what is actually on your list;
- Identify if there are perhaps situations which cause you to eat unhealthily. Many individuals eat unhealthily when tired or stressed or when eating out. Planning for such situations is key in this regard. Are there any foods which would still give you the same comfort and the same satisfaction, but would perhaps be a healthier option?; and
- Commit to increasing your levels of exercise. Start by ensuring you get 30 to 60 minutes of exercise on a daily basis. You may wish to consider jogging, running or cycling in the first instance. Such activities are readily and easily accessible by most of us. In addition, it is relatively easy to increase the intensity of such activities, to ensure we get the most benefits from our exercise regime.
The ultimate healthy balanced diet for individuals really does exist. No individual has to be a slave to the latest fad diet ever again! It is of the uppermost importance that life is enjoyed on a daily basis, and such enjoyment is achievable by following a healthy balanced diet as opposed to being answerable to a diet every single second of every single day.