Weight loss can be achieved by increasing an individual’s daily fiber intake. In fact it has been proven that a balanced diet which is high in fiber, that being approximately 21 to 38 grams per day, is effective in the promotion of weight loss and indeed in the maintenance of a healthy weight.
There are a number of reasons as to why a diet which is high in fiber assists in the promotion of a good how to lose weight routine. A basic understanding of the benefits of fiber and the knowledge as to how to get sufficient fiber into the diet will enable an individual to reach their weight loss targets quickly and in the most effective manner.
Some reasons as to why eating fiber is good for weight loss are as follows:
Foods which are high in fiber make you feel full
Foods which are high in fiber make you feel fuller for a significantly longer period of time. High fiber foods provide less calories per volume of food which makes you feel fuller without having to eat quite as much. Fiber stays in your stomach longer and slows down the rate of digestion, making you feel fuller for longer. High fiber foods normally require you to chew them for longer. This in essence causes you to eat slowly, thereby ensuring that your body registers when it feels full sooner.
Fiber is not easily digested nor absorbed by the body very well
Although you will feel fuller by eating high fiber foods that does not mean that you will experience any weight gain. Fiber is not easily digested nor absorbed by the body very well. In fact the majority of the fiber consumed will be excreted by the body.
High fiber foods tend to be healthy
High fiber foods tend to be healthy as a general rule, being high in nutrients and low in calories in comparison to other foodstuffs. High fiber foods make you feel full without having to eat an excessive amount of calories(how many calories does a person burn in a day?). High fiber foods, such as cereals, wholegrains, beans, fruits, vegetables, lentils and other pulses, are all recommended as a means of maintaining a healthy weight and in keeping the body in overall good health.
It is relatively easy to increase your fiber intake on a daily basis, which can be demonstrated as follows:
- Eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables on a daily basis.
- The vast majority of vegetables are high in fiber. In addition, fruits that are high in fiber include citrus fruits, apples, strawberries, bananas, pears, prunes and tangerines
- Eat wholegrain or wholewheat bread as opposed to white bread which is low in fiber
- Eat high fiber cereals, such as All Bran, or oatmeal at breakfast time
- Ensure that you increase your intake of beans, lentils and other pulses in your diet
- Eat wholewheat pasta as opposed to regular pasta, and brown rice as opposed to white rice
- Consider changing to snacks which are high in fiber, such wholegrain crackers or popcorn, as opposed to chocolate or other high fat, high sugar snacks.
The secret to any weight loss campaign is of course to ensure that you burn a higher number of calories than you consume on a regular basis. Eating a balanced diet(like The Zone Diet) which is high in fiber can assist you in achieving this goal. High fiber foods make you feel full ensuring that you will not consume as many additional calories throughout the day. Eating a balanced diet which is high in fiber and getting regular physical activity will ensure that you lose that additional weight quickly and effectively. Want to know more about calorie-needs and losing weight? Visit our how many calories to lose weight page.